Kerala ghee rice recipe/ neichoru – The food that makes me drool!!! This ghee rice easy recipe is fragrant, subtly spiced special among the variety of rice items of Kerala.
What is ghee rice?
With clarified butter, caramelized onions, aromatic spices and nuts, this is served on special occasions. This is very popular particularly in the Northern Malabar side of Kerala. Most weddings would be incomplete without these lip-smacking ghee rice recipes. It is quite simple to prepare and guarantees you a rich flavour & aroma.
To get the authentic taste Ghee rice is mildly flavoured with desi ghee, basic spices. The flavour of the fresh desi ghee is unique and elevates the flavour of the dish. Never try this recipe with oil. This is made all over South India with slight variations in cooking.
Jerakasala rice, also know as Wayanadan Kaima is usually used to make ghee rice.
Desi ghee is the key ingredient for this dish. This elevates the aroma to this dish. If not available use clarified butter.
Many “eat to live” and others “live to eat”. Some like spicy food some have a sweet tooth. Each one of us has a different choice, a different liking. But for all of us, the ultimate food is piping hot food made and served by our mother. There is no doubt about it, try this vegetable ghee rice recipe, you will love it!
Combinations with Ghee rice:
- With mutton curry
- Combination with Egg curry
- With dal
How to make simple ghee rice
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cook Time – 30 minutes/ serves – 4
Ingredients to make ghee rice Kerala style:
- Basmati rice – 2 cups
- Ghee – 6 Tbsp
- Onion sliced – 1 no
- Cinnamon stick – 1 small piece
- Cardamom – 4 nos
- Cloves – 4 nos
- Bay leaves – 2 numbers
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Raisins – 50 grams
- Cashew nuts – 50 grams
- 3 Cups Water
- Salt to taste
Time needed: 40 minutes.
Method to make:
Wash and drain the rice well. Heat 4 tbsp of ghee in a pan.
Fry raisins, cashew nuts and onions to golden brown in colour.
Take it out and keep it aside.
To this remaining ghee, add whole spices and sauté for 2-3 min.
Add finely chopped onion and ginger.
To this transfer the washed rice and fry for 5-6 min.
Pour boiling water and enough amount of salt.
Pour 1 ½ cup of water for 1 cup of rice.
Cover it and allow it to cook on a low flame.
Give a stir, and level the water with rice.
Sprinkle half portion of fried cashew nuts, raisins, onion.
Sprinkle 2 teaspoon of ghee on the top of it.
Close the lid and keep it for 15 – 20 mins.
Keep in low flame, for 10-15 mins.
Mix it well and garnish with the remaining portion of fried cashew nuts, raisins and onion.
More similar recipes
Ghee rice / Nei choru
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 6 tbsp clarified butter ghee
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick small piece
- 4 nos cardamom
- 4 nos cloves
- 2 nos bay leaf small
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 50 gms raisins
- 50 gms cashew nuts
- 3 cups water
- salt to taste
- Wash and drain the rice well. Heat 4 tbsp of ghee in a pan. Fry raisins, cashew nuts and onions to golden brown in colour. Take it out and keep aside. To this remaining ghee, add whole spices and sauté for 2-3 min.
- Add finely chopped onion and ginger. To this transfer the washed rice and fry for 5-6 min.
- Pour boiling water and enough amount of salt. Pour 1 ½ cup of water for 1 cup of rice. Cover it and allow it to cook in a low flame.
- Give a stir, and level the water with rice. Sprinkle half portion of fried cashew nuts, raisins, onion. Sprinkle 2 teaspoon of ghee on the top of it. Close the lid and keep it for 15 – 20 mins. keep in low flame, it for 10-15 mins.
- Mix it well and garnish with remaining portion of fried cashew nuts, raisins and onion.
- Tasty ghee rice is ready to serve.
Any good quality of basmati rice can be used for making ghee rice. Since it is less sticky than other types of rice, every grain of rice is well defined and separated from each other.
If you are cooking rice in a pressure cooker 2 whistles could be enough.
Nutritional values of ghee rice
Calories: 663kcal | Carbohydrates: 93g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 58mg | Sodium: 24mg | Potassium: 354mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 31IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Vitamin E: 1mg | Calcium: 69mg | Iron: 3mg