Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Ulli vada is an authentic, tea time delicacy in Kerala. This ulli vada recipe is easy to make with readily available ingredients.
Ulli vada thattukada style:
Table of contents
Ullivada preparation reminds me of the local teashops in Kerala. In these tea shops, they serve fresh tea and local snacks like parippu vada, pazham pori, onion pakoda etc.. The boiling vessel that constantly sprays aromatic steam, the open frying pan, the aroma of freshly fried local snacks, the easy camaraderie… that’s is a different experience! Links for how to make chutney is given below.
How to prepare Ulli vada?
Nadan ullivada (onion vada) recipe is easy with basic ingredients with gram flour, rice flour, chopped onions, chopped ginger, asafoetida, curry leaves, coriander leaves, turmeric powder, green chillies, fennel seeds and baking soda, made into a thick batter and deep-fried. The above Ulli vada video, clearly explains how to make ullivada Kerala style.
How to thicken a onion (savala vada) batter?
Add little Rava (sooji). Mix well together with vada batter and rest for 10 minutes. This helps the batter the right consistency and for a crispy ullivada. If the vada batter is too runny, you won’t be able to take and shape it with your fingers.
Ulli vada ingredients:
- 4 tbsp – gram flour (basen)
- 1 tbsp – rice flour
- 4 – red onion sliced
- 1 tbsp – chopped ginger
- 2 pinch – asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 tsp ajowan seeds
- curry leaves (chopped) 1 sprig
- 1 – tbsp coriander leaves chopped
- 1 – green chilli chopped
- black salt – to taste
- 1/2 tsp – baking soda
How to make Ulli vada:
Time needed: 35 minutes.
Method to make
Slice the onion
In a bowl mix sliced onions, chopped ginger, asafoetida, turmeric powder, curry leaves, coriander leaves, green chillies, fennel seeds, ajwain seeds and black salt.
Keep the mix aside for half an hour.
The salt makes the onion lose water and makes the water for the batter.
Mix gram flour, rice flour and baking soda.
Sieve the mix.
Add gradually into the onion mix to form a thick batter.
If the batter is too thick add a bit more water to get the right consistency.
Heat refined oil in a pan.
On medium heat deep fry small portions of onion batter.
Once the fritters are golden brown in colour take them out from the oil.
Your crispy Vada is ready.
Serve hot with green chutney.
Tips for vada cooking:
* The salt makes onion loose water and makes the water.
* Sifting flour breaks up lumps and also incorporates air in between flour particles, allowing it to absorb liquid more evenly and mixing with other ingredients.
More similar kerala snacks:
How to make Ulli Vada | Onion vada recipe
- 4 gram flour basen
- 1 rice flour
- 4 nos red onion
- 1 tsp ginger chopped
- 2 pinch asafoteda
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 curry leaves sprig
- 1 coriander leaves chopped
- 1 green chilli chopped
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp ajowain seeds
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- black salt to taste
Instructions to make Ulli vada
- Slice the onions
- In a bowl mix sliced onions, chopped ginger, asafoiteda, turmeric powder, curry leaves, coriander leaves, green chillies, fennel seeds, ajowan seeds and black salt.
- Keep the mix aside for half an hour.
- The salt makes onion loose water and makes the water for the batter.
- Mix gram flour, rice flour and baking soda.
- Seive the mix.
- Add gradually into the onion mix to form a thick batter.
- If the batter is too thick add bit more water to get the right consistincy.
- Heat refined oil in a pan.
- On a medium heat deep fry small portions of onion batter.
- Once the fritters are golden brown in colour take out from the oil.
- Your crispy Ulli Vada is ready.
- Serve hot with green chutney.
To make crispy Ulli vada, make sure you get the oil temperature right. Medium to hot will be perfect for vadas. If the oil is too hot, the vadas will be undercooked inside.
We can remove the excess oil by placing the vadas on a tissue paper.
Ulli vada can be frozen for up to 2 months. Deep fry half did and keep in the freezer. When you are ready to serve, keep out from the freezer and defrost in the fridge the day before. Deep-fry again and cook it to full. and serve hot.