Chilli Idli fry is how you can transform one of the most common South Indian recipe, into an appetising stir fry party starter. A tasty way to transform your leftover Idlis into chilli idli.
Chilli idli recipe is a popular street food recipe especially in South India. This recipe is a mixture of chinese with an authentic South Indian breakfast dish. Idli chilli recipe would give a great experience to your tongue in each bite.
Mixing the best of two cuisines can sometimes create a cool dish and that is what happened today. I made the all too famous South Indian idli, Chinese schezwan style and the combo gave a perfect twin taste. Chilli Idli is a good choice for starters or in fact any time snack. We have talked about idli in a past recipe, so here I would only show how to make these idli into this schezwan dish. This combo taste would go well with kids and adults alike and you would get all the appreciation for the unique idea, so why not give it a try. You will find it all too easy to make this Chilli Idli.
What is Idli?
Idlis are a type of savory rice cakes, popular as breakfast foods in South India. The cakes are made by steaming a batter consisting of fermented lentils and rice.
What is idli made of ?
Idli is made of ground rice or rice flour mixed with ground urad dal, salt and water. The mixture is allowed to ferment prior to being steamed in an idli steamer.
What to serve with Idli?
Here I have transformed Idli into an Indo – Chinese version Chilli Idli. Not only youngsters, but adults too are sure to enjoy this chilli Idli.
Recipe for Chilli Idli
- 6 numbers Idli Medium sized
- 1/2 cup Refined flour
- 1/2 cup corn flour
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp Ginger and garlic Chopped
- 2 nos Green chillies Chopped
- 3 nos Capsicum Diced
- 2 nos Red onion Diced
- 2 tbsp Schezwan sauce
- 3 tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 nos Spring onion Chopped
- Cut the idlis into 3 pieces.
For the batter
- Add 1/2 cup refined four, 1/2 cup corn flour, 2 tbsp soy sauce, salt to taste and water.
- Make a semi thick batter with the above ingredients.
- Coat the idli pieced with the batter.
- Deep fry until golden brown.
- Keep aside in a tissue paper to drain off the excess oil.
Preperation of Chilli Idli.
- In a pan heat 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Saute 2 tbsp ginger and garlic for 2 minutes
- Add 2 tbsp chopped green chillies, cubed capsicums and cubed red onions
- When the above ingredients are half cooked add 2 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp schezwan sauce and saute for couple of minutes.
- Add the batter fried Idlis and saute for another couple of minutes.
- Add 4 tbsp of water to bring to the right consistency of your choice.
- Garnish with spring onions and serve hot.