Cumin potato salad with chorizo and rocket leaves
This potato salad is a new and delicious twist of a tradition inherited from my cruise ship life. New potatoes boiled in their skin, then sliced are accented by bits of chorizo, a smoked Spanish sausage available in any super markets. It’s the Indian spices, potatoes, rocket leaves and chorizo with its subtle smokiness that makes this potato salad so distinctive.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
800 grams new potatoes
Vegetable oil 50 grams
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon chilli powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
Sea salt flakes to taste
2 red onions sliced into rings
150 gram sliced chorizo
Small piece of ginger finely chopped
2 green chillies finely chopped
25 grams coriander leaves
- Blanch the new potatoes in boiling water with half of the turmeric and slice ( cook the potatoes only half as we are going to sauté this in oil with the spices)
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan; add cumin seeds and when they start to crackle add the sliced potatoes. Cook on a high heat until they begin to colour slightly brown. Stir and make the colour even.
- Add the remaining turmeric, chilli powder, ground cumin and sea salt flakes.
- Add the onion rings and chorizo slices and stir quickly.
- When the onion starts to soften and chorizo is heated through, sprinkle the ginger, chillies and coriander. Cook for a few minutes until the potatoes are fully cooked. Keep it, to cool.
- Toss with rocket leaves, and transfer to a salad serving bowl.