Dare to be different!! Why not try test tubes for sauces and carafes for soups.
Rasam is a sour fragrant and refreshing broth which is very popular in India. It is usually served on Sadhya ( Erissery, Avial, Pachadi) a feast which is served in a banana leaf and relished best with out the use of cutlery, accompanying over 30 vegetarian dishes.
In the modern restaurants rasam is served as a tangy, spiced soup. Its main ingredients are tamarind and tomatoes. Their flavours can vary from tomato, apple, mint, cumin, plum, lemon, pepper, drumstick, pineapple, ginger, beetroot and much more. Give it all a try. Lets tantalize our taste buds!!
If you would like to read more tips on plate presentation or food arts, please visit my site keralaslive.com Prioritising food presentation and food photography, I have created a food group in Facebook. Join us, share your recipe, explore new bloggers and their recipe. Click on the link to join us – Foodie art files
Ingredients for Rasam Powder Recipe
- Cumin seeds- 2 1/2 teaspoons
- Coriander seeds – 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Black peppercorns- 2 teaspoons
- Whole dry red chilli- 5
- Oil 1 teaspoon
- Split pigeon pea – 1/3 cup
- Asafoetida 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves- 2 sprigs
- Dry roast cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, black peppercorns and whole dry red chillies. Set aside to cool.
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté the dal till red. Set aside to cool. Grind the roasted ingredients with asafoetida, turmeric powder and curry leaves.
- Cool and store in containers.
Instructions to prepare rasam.
Tamarind – about a small lemon size
Tomato – 2 not
Drumsticks – 1 piece, cut into finger length sizes
Garlic – 4-5 cloves (chopped)
Oil, 2 teaspoons
Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoons
Dry red chillies – 2 nos (optional)
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Coriander powder – 2 teaspoons
Chilli powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Pepper powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin powder – 1/4 teaspoon
Asafoetida, a pinch
Salt to taste
Cilantro leaves, to garnish
- Soak tamarind in a cup of warm water and extract the pulp.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan, add mustard seeds and when they crack, add the chopped garlic, curry leaves and red chillies fry for few minutes.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes, cook till it turns soft. Then add asafoetida, turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilli powder, pepper and cumin powder mix well, add some water (about 1/4 cup) and cook with drumsticks until drumsticks are tender.
- Now add the tamarind extract and required water to get the right consistency, salt to taste, mix well.
- Let it cook for few minutes in medium heat with two table spoon of rasam powder.
- Take out the pulp from the drumsticks and add to rasam.
- Garnish with tamarind and olive bread stick and serve.