Ghee rice – The rice that make me drool!!! Ghee rice is fragrant, subtly spiced special rice among the variety rice items of kerala. With clarified butter, caramelized onions, aromatic spices and nuts, ghee rice is served on special occasions. This dish is very popular particularly in the Northen Malabar side of Kerala. Most of the weddings would be incomplete without this lip smacking, aromatic rice. It is quite simple to prepare and guarantees you a rich flavor & aroma.
Many “eat to live” and others “live to eat”. Some like spicy food some have a sweet tooth. Each one of us has a different choice, different liking. But for all of us the ultimate food is piping hot food made and served by our mother. There is no doubt about it.
Ghee Rice – Instructions to prepare.
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cook Time – 30 minutes/ serves – 4
Basmati rice – 2 cups
Ghee – 6 Tbspn
Onion sliced – 1 nos
Cinnamon stick – 1 small piece
Cardamom – 4 nos
Cloves – 4 nos
Bay leaves – 2 numbers
Ginger – 1Inch piece
Raisins – 50 grams
Cashew nuts – 50 grams
3 Cups Water
Salt to taste
1) Wash and drain the rice well. Heat 4 tbsp of ghee in a pan. Fry raisins, cashew nuts and onions to golden brown in colour. Take it out and keep aside. To this remaining ghee, add whole spices and sauté for 2-3 min.
2) Add finely chopped onion and ginger. To this transfer the washed rice and fry for 5-6 min.
3) Pour boiling water and enough amount of salt. Pour 1 ½ cup of water for 1 cup of rice. Cover it and allow it to cook in a low flame.
4) Give a stir, and level the water with rice. Sprinkle half portion of fried cashew nuts, raisins, onion. Sprinkle 2 teaspoon of ghee on the top of it. Close the lid and keep it for 15 – 20 mins. keep in low flame, it for 10-15 mins.
5) Mix it well and garnish with remaining portion of fried cashew nuts, raisins and onion.
6) Tasty ghee rice is ready to serve.