Pazham pori with a cup of hot cardamom tea, even the thought of this makes me nostalgic and cozy. Pazham pori or Plantain fritter is one of the most famous evening snacks in Kerala. It’s one of the simplest and the humblest snacks as well. As Kerala is the land of plantain, you will come across many plantain dishes while in Kerala. Among those, plantain fritter or pazham pori has been the popular and the favourite snack of almost all the people there.
Pazham Pori / banana fritters – Instructions to prepare.
Ripe plantain – 3 nos
All purpose flour – 1 cup
Rice flour – 1 tablespoon
Egg – 1 (optional)
Sugar – 1 tablespoon
Turmeric powder – 1 pinch
Water ¾ cup
Salt to taste
Baking powder – ½ teaspoon
Oil – for deep frying
- Peel the plantains, first cut it vertically, then cut it into halves.
- cut the halved plantain vertically to get two thin slices out of it and keep aside.
- In a bowl, mix all purpose flour, rice flour, sugar, turmeric powder (egg) , baking powder and salt. Blend it nicely with 3/4 cup of water with out any lumps.
- Dip the plantain slices in bit of plain flour and then into the prepared batter and evenly coat them.
- Heat the oil in a deep bottom pan. When it is hot, deep fry the batter coated plantain slices by turning both sides till golden brown.
- Pazham pori is ready. Drain the excess oil using a paper towel.